Tuesday, June 10, 2014

How My Prolapsed Uterus is Like a Pregnancy

I counted the other day and it turns out I will be having my hysterectomy and oophorectomy (removal of the ovaries) about nine months after I first started really hurting and knew I needed to go to the doctor.  This got me thinking about the other ways this whole thing has been like a pregnancy.

The biggest similarity is the nesting.  Okay, I'm not getting my house ready for a new baby, but I have been deep cleaning and getting my house ready for my down time and possibly visitors.  I don't generally receive visitors in my bedroom, but that will be a possibility for a few days after surgery.  So I wanted it to be presentable.  All those things I've wanted to do for a long time to make it the way I wanted it to be are finally getting done now.  I've been deep cleaning and purging so I can recuperate in peace without being anxious about things that need to be done.  Other than maintenance (which includes getting my family to actually clean up after themselves), my house is ready!

Discomfort.  Ugh.  Being pregnant brings about all kinds of weird and unexpected changes to your body.  And you spend so much time worrying if this is normal or something to worry about.  Should I call the doctor?  Do I need to go to the hospital?  Twinges.  Pain.  Swelling.   Cramping.  The one thing that's been nearly constant these last nine months is a cramping uterus - very like contractions only less come-and-go and more constant, like a Charlie horse.  It feels like I have a giant rock in my lower abdomen, very much like when I was about two months pregnant.  Uncomfortable to me, but not noticeable to anyone else.

And, because of my uterus being displaced, a more frequent need to pee.

An ultrasound as part of the diagnostic process.

Way too many pelvic exams.

Way more doctors visits than I'd like.

Deciding when and how to tell people.

Lots of people asking when my date is (surgery date as opposed to due date).

And when it's time I will go to the hospital and have a delivery of sorts and spend a night in the hospital while they monitor my bleeding and recovery.

I won't be bringing home a bundle of joy (but I also won't be gaining another lifelong responsibility).  There will be no naming of anything under any circumstances.

But hopefully, when all is said and done, I will experience the same joy and freedom and relief that comes after pregnancy when I feel like I finally have my body back the way it should be.  Fingers crossed!

8 comments:

Seana Turner said...

Wishing you an uneventful and highly successful surgery. Prolapsed uterus is NO FUN, and I'm sorry you are having to deal with it. It is at times like these that I'm thankful for doctors and solutions to very uncomfortable (i.e. painful) problems. Good luck!!

mypixieblog said...

Awww, I'm so very sorry to hear of the discomfort you have been going through and hope that this surgery finally brings you some relief. Don't worry about getting the house in order--just take care of yourself right now.

*HUGS*

mypixieblog said...

Did my last comment go through? I think either the internet or Blogger hates me. Regardless, I want to wish you the best of luck with your surgery. I'm sorry to hear you have been in so much pain and I hope this gives you the relief you need!

Best wishes and the best of luck to you.

Tammy Soong said...

Ugh, I can't imagine what an ordeal this had been for you. You're dealing with it in a humorous way, which I can always get on board with. So, yes, bonus -- no sleepless nights and sore nipples. Definitely something to look forward to...

Good luck.xo

karen said...

oh no, I am so sorry, hoping all goes well...sending you lots of positive thoughts.

Sheila Skillingstead said...

Constant pain is something I hate to go to the doctor about. I'm glad you are getting your constant pain fixed. Enjoy your recovery in a deep cleaned bedroom and I hope your family steps up for you. Enjoy Sharefest.

Jessica Snyder said...

Sending quick recovery vibes your way!!!
Jessica from www.sparklesandglue.com

Lana said...

I'm sorry to hear of your medical troubles. Hope everything goes well and you're feeling better soon!