Saturday, December 28, 2013

Creating the World of My Dreams

As I come to the end of the year, I start thinking about what the next year will be.  What do I want to do in the next year?  How will I define it?  How will I change and grow?  This alone makes it a proactive activity. 

Approaching the new year understanding that I can define it is empowering. 

Many years in the past I have been carried along like a twig in a current.  Go with the flow.  Wherever life takes me is where I'll be.  No thought or effort to change my own direction, just reacting to things as they happen.

But a couple of years ago, when I decided to choose a word to define the year, a word for my focus, things began to change.  My word was KINDNESS the first year and SEE the next.  Both of those years were powerful and changed me in amazing ways.  The one word for a year thing totally works for me.

I am so excited about my word for this year.  I pondered all the things I want to change, all the things I want to do, all the ways I still need to grow.  I pondered who I am and who I want to be.  I pondered my world and what defines it.  Many words came to mind as options.  But eventually one floated to the top that encapsulates everything I want.

CREATE.  My word for 2014 is create.

This is the moment in my life when I am ready to truly make my world what I want it to be, in so many facets.  It fits where I am now.  And where I want to go.

My vision is that I will examine my life and decide what I want it to be.  I am usually so whatever in my life.  I am a very content person, happy with whatever life hands me.  And I think there is value in that.  But there is also value in choosing.  In making it what I want it to be.

It will be less about what I don't want and more about what I do.  Not focusing on the things I want to change or get rid of but focusing on what I want my life to be.  Less about getting rid of things and more about creating space.  Less about not feeling bad and more about feeling good.  Less about avoiding people who cause me stress and more about filling my life with people who bring me joy.  Less about overcoming negative behaviors and more about establishing habits of good behaviors.

A big part of this will be examining my life (which I love and am good at) and figuring out what I want (which I'm not as good at).

I have already started, because I just couldn't wait.  I've taken up a new art form (Zentangle).  I've begun creating space in my home.  But there's so much more room to create.  I can't wait to see what this year will bring.

Maybe it will be the year I finally do the small remodel on the bathroom I've wanted to do for years.  Maybe it will be the year I tackle the backyard and make it the oasis I want it to be.  Maybe it will be the year my bedroom becomes the haven I want it to be.  Maybe it will be the year I find a schedule that works for me and brings me peace of mind.  Maybe it will be the year I create a system for our finances that eases my worries.

It's about understanding what my heart needs and making it happen, inviting it into my life.

My life is not quite a blank canvas, but it's got lots of open space and I can easily paint over so many parts I don't like.  I'm excited to see what the final creation looks like.

24 comments:

Mellow Muslimah said...

I really enjoyed your post and its a really positive angle on making changes in our lives. Yes, that resonates with me: 'It will be less about what I don't want and more about what I do.'

I too have been thinking about how to make some changes in my life and this is helpful! It's a positive way of moving past those negative feelings we have at times!

Happy SITS Sharefest to you too :)

Tara Newman said...

Sounds like you are poised for a good year! I always like to add to my life instead of subtract. Adding the things I want to my life crowds out the things that aren't serving me. Good luck on your journey.

Meg said...

This was a wonderful post! I really like the one word a year idea! I think create is a wonderful word for this new year!

Jacinta said...

Yes, it's so easy to get lost in the nitty-gritty of life, especially the negative parts...and it's such a joy to intentionally fill it with more of His perspective and not the world's! :)

Lily said...

What a great idea for a new year!!! I'm going to give this some thought myself and try it out!!

brooke said...

I love all of your plans to CREATE and I bet you will find even more as the year passes.

brooke said...

I love all of your plans to CREATE and I bet you will find even more as the year passes.

brooke said...

Love your thoughts and plans for creating in 2014. It sounds like CREATE will take you to new and good places and help you to make your home and your routines more enjoyable and more fitting to you.

Homemakersdaily.com said...

Inspiring post, Robin!

I love the idea of a word for the year.

Jessica @FoundtheMarbles said...

It sounds like you are already on your way to creating a wonderful year ahead!

Dawnelle said...

I love this! It's so positive!! The best way to break a bad habit is to replace it with a good one. The best way to deal with toxic people is to associate more with verdant (yes, I know I'm taking liberties with that word, but it's a good one) people. Oh, so positive! This is the perspective I need. I will try to follow your example,I think. Please write much--we want to hear how it's going. :)

Beverley Baird said...

Such a wonderful word for 2014! Go for it!

Kristen said...

I love how honest you are in your blog. Good luck!

Corlie said...

I enjoyed reading how you want to create your year by making certain choices! If I have to choose a word for this year it will be "build". I set some foundations down in 2013 and 2012 and now its time to build on them :)

Rebecca "Franticmommy" Flansburg said...

Love this post and love your honesty. "CREATE. My word for 2014 is create"
Mine is Re-Focus. I want to take what I am doing (which I love) and refocus and redirect. Only good can come from that :) Stopping by from SITS Sharefest! -Franticmommy

Tracie Nall said...

I love your word for this year, and I also love what you said about approaching the new year with understanding that you can define it. I think I have felt so overwhelmed and disappointed by life that I forgot I have the power to make it what I want it to be. Definitely something to work on this year.

Dawna said...

I'm dropping by from SITS for the first time this morning, and I have to say that your post made me smile. It inspired me. I could feel the positive energy permeating from your words. May 2014 be everything you desire it to be!

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

Its so funny how, coming from completely different places, our posts were so similar! Best wishes with your creations this year!

Ebatte said...

Dropping by from SITS. I LOVE this post. It really resonated with me....so much so that I'm borrowing the word CREATE for myself this year. The way you explained it really fits with what I want to do.

Tami Jardine said...

This is one of the reasons why I love blogging so much! Bloggers are not afraid to open up and share. This is such a blessing.

When I read posts like these...I suddenly feel like everything will be okay because I am not alone in this world. Sometimes, all we need is to know that we are not alone.

Your word for the year is beautiful and this post is even more so.

All the best in the new year...

Stopping by from the SITS Sharefest.

Tami
http://www.tamijardine.com/

AwesomelyOZ said...

Great word, best of luck putting it into effect! I haven't tried the whole "word" thing for New Years but we'll see what the future holds. Hope you had a great 2014 celebration! -Iva

MaggieJo said...

I love that word!

Sherri said...

Create... such a powerful word.

So many things can be created... or re-created.

Keia Lee said...

I love your word CREATE! One of my favorite quotes is "Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself." Loved your post!
Thanks you for sharing :D
Love, Keia